History of Dover Free Public Library
 
As the size of its collection has grown, the library has been forced to move several times over the course of the years. In 1911, the library moved into the Fair Building on East Blackwell Street, and in 1923 it it took up residence in the Moose Building (which is now occupied by Dover Christian Nursing Home).
Finally, in 1932, work was completed on the original section of the present building. This was the first structure in Dover specifically designed to be used as a library and housed the collection until the early 1960's, when more space was deemed necessary. Construction on the new addition to the library was completed in 1965 and now holds the staff work area, adult non-fiction collection, and the Children's Room.
Presently, Dover Free Public Library has over 55,000 books in its collection, as well as more than 140 current periodicals, a large selection of audio books, music tapes and CD's, and video tapes (both for education and entertainment). The library's Spanish language collection is the largest in Morris County and one of the finest in the State. Patrons are kept up-to-date with all of the latest technologies, provided through access to CD-ROM reference materials and the Internet, both of which may be viewed using the library's computers.
As the Dover Free Public Library approaches its centenary, we look back on a history of service to the community and once again renew our commitment to the people that we serve.
Go to page [ Previous ][ 1 ][ 2 ][ 3 ][ Print Friendly ]
[ Home ][ News ][ Calendar ][ Contact Us ][ Library Services ][ DFPL Policies ][ Links to other Libraries ]
[ Dover Town Info ][ Government Info ][ DFPL History ][ Employment ][ Directions ]
                                              Copyright © 2012 Dover Free Public Library